This buttercream is perfect on just about any cake or cupcake but I especially like it on my Banana Cupcakes. The nuttiness of the brown butter blends perfectly with the bananas!
First, prepare the brown butter:
- 2 1/2 sticks butter
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- about 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- Prepare the brown butter as shown in this post. I prepare 10 tablespoons at a time (so 2 1/2 sticks would be browned in 2 batches) because I it browns faster and it is easier to control.
- After cooling the butter in the refrigerator, bring back to room temperature. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the brown butter, half the icing sugar, the vanilla and the milk or cream. Mix on low speed until combined then turn up to medium speed. Mix for 1 minute.
- Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the remaining icing sugar. Mix on low until sugar is blended in then turn up to high for 1 to 2 minutes. Add more icing sugar or milk to reach your desired consistency.